Thursday 14 June 2012


The Teacher

A Parody of Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven" 


Once upon a math-test dreary, whilst I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious page of forgotten index law,
While I prodded, nearly tapping, suddenly their came a snapping,
As of something gently rapping, rapping from my calc-u-tor.
“Tis the processor,” I muttered, “humming in my calc-u-tor –
Only this, and nothing more.”
*
Ah, distinctly I remember, it was in the bleak semester,
And each student council member cast their dreams upon the floor.
Sadly I had dwelled in sorrow; - vainly I had tried to borrow
From my friends surcease of sorrow – sorrow for my calc-u -tor –
For the aged and decrepit machine which I brought through the classroom door –
Broken here for evermore.
*
And the token timely ticking of each minute hand,
Shocked me – filled me with timely terror never felt before;
So that now, to still the ticking of my clock, I sat repeating
“Tis some concept revised at home before –
Some quaint concept learnt before; -
This it is, and nothing more.”
*
Presently my hand grew stronger; calculating ever longer,
“Calc,” said I, “or Tor, truly your assistance I implore;
But factors I was mapping, and so gently came your rapping,
And so faintly was your tapping, tapping in my calc-u-tor,
That I scarce was sure I heard you” – here I opened back the door; ---Batteries there, and nothing more.

*
Deep into those batteries peering, long I stared there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams that Euler had dared to dream before;
But the batteries were unbroken, and the answer had not spoken,
And the only number there outspoken was the whispered word, “It’s four!”
This I wrote, and the battery murmured back the word “It’s Four!”
Exactly this and nothing more.
*
Then over the page turning, all my mind within me churning,
Soon I heard again a tapping somewhat louder than before.
“Surely,” said I, “surely this is something from some apparatus;
Ignore this, what it will be, and this math test I’ll explore –
Let this noise be soft a moment and this formula I’ll endure; -
‘Tis a beaker and nothing more!”
*
Suddenly the door did shudder, when, with much of noise and flutter,
In there stepped a teacher from saintly days of yore;
Not the least delay made she; nor an instance stopped or stayed she;
But with grace of lord and lady, walked she across the math room floor – Searched within a box of papers near the math room door,
Searched, and sat, and nothing more.
*
Then this reverent teacher beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the brave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
“Though thy marks bear scorn and scathen* thou,” I said , “art sure no craven,
  Ghastly grim and ancient maven wandering through the math room door,
Tell me what thy lordly name is when this test is nevermore!”         
Quoth the teacher; “Outside door”
*
Much I marvelled this woman to hear her hoarse voice so plainly,
Though its demand little meaning – little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no effervescent being,
Ever yet was blessed with denim ghost beside his classroom door –
Blurred high priest upon the paper box above the classroom door,
Who’ll threaten take my calc-u-tor.
*
But the teacher, working lungs up for another gust, spoke only
That one phrase, as if all her anger in that phrase did she outpour. Nothing further did she utter - not a titter or a mutter –
Till I scarcely more than uttered, “Your colleagues have been shown before, as to the content of their dresser drawer.”
Quoth the teacher “Outside door”
*
Wondering at the stillness broken by reply so simply spoken,
“Doubtless,” said I, “what I utter is worth nothing any more.
Rules wrought by some old headmaster who said children are disaster,
She followed fast and followed faster – so, her mind would not allure, my stern despair returned, instead of the sweet hope I dared adjure –
When again I heard sad answer; “Outside door”
*
But the teacher still beguiling all my sad soul into smiling,
Down I stared to the ravaged paper in front of me, my answer four;
Then upon the answer sinking, I betook myself to linking
Cubic unto cubic, thinking what these ominous graphs of yore –
What these grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt, and ominous graphs of score
Meant to evoke by square root four.

*
This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing
To the teacher, whose fiery eyes now burned into my sequence score;
This and more I sat defining, with my pen at ease with writing,
On the papers black ink lining that the teacher gloated o’er,
But whose purple denim lining was the class-light floating o’er,
She shall press, ah, “Outside door!”
*
Then methought, the air grew denser, poisonous smokes by unseen censer,
“Damn”, cried I, “my step has bent thee -- by this dropping I have set free,
Rapping – rapping and tapping from my sainted calc-u-tor!
Scoff, yes scoff, I with drop have sent thee to thy doom,
My sainted calc-u-tor!”
Quoth the teacher; “Outside door”
*
“Teacher” said I, “thing of evil! –- teacher still, if man or devil! –
By the heaven that stays above us - and by the math we both adore –
My soul is entirely with sorrow laden, for the utter decimation, Decimation the angels say is the destruction of my calc-u-tor”
Quoth the teacher; “Outside door”
*
“Be that phrase my sign of parting, man or fiend!” I shrieked, up-starting --
“Get thee back into thy classroom thy one I do deplore!
Leave no denim as a token upon your thigh, remain unbroken!
Leave my math test unspoken! – quit thy-self above my desk!
Take thy shadow from out my form, and take thyself right off this floor!”
Quoth the teacher; “Outside door”

*
And that teacher, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting,
On the box of papers just before the classroom door;
And her eyes have all the scheming of a teacher that is screaming,
And the clock-sound o’er her reverberates around the classroom floor;
And my paper from out that ticking flutters to the floor,
And shall nay be completed -- by my calc-u-tor.

* * *

*  Scathen  – The word “scathing” used with minor poetic license.

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment